July 27, 2008

Medical Kits

I have been reading some old and new works on survival kits and storage supplies for short and long term emergencies. As I was looking at one of the most complete lists on medical/first-aid supplies I have ever seen, I thought of an item I have never seen on a list. While the wife and I were picking up prescriptions at the drug store last week I was browsing the aisles for sale items to add to our kits. A lady walked over to the RID and picked up a couple bottles of shampoo and the spray for furniture and bedding. She acted embarrassed as a husband buying tampons for the wife, to be carrying these items. She even commented to another lady that one of her daughters friends had spent the night and infected her daughter and house with lice. I guess most people consider this parasite to be associated with being dirty or nasty. Well, that made me think, after SHTF sanitary measures will be made difficult enough with limited resources. How much would having a few cans of spray and some shampoo on hand be worth to you. You could use it as a barter item in dosages or you might even need it for yourself or loved ones. Who knows, just a thought.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

an excellent observation, and a word to the wise. i would also add a couple tubes of jock-itch cream, and some tooth ache jell.
...irishdutchuncle

Mayberry said...

Damn good idea. And I second the jock itch stuff....

Phil said...

Good one!

Kim said...

Those are great ideas!

Shy Wolf said...

I also put in a couple tubes of A-200 brand Pyrianate gel, for crabs and other assorted live-stock. Can also be bought as a soap bar.
Good post- it's the 'little things' we often tend to overlook and may cost us dearly down the road.

Anonymous said...

Add a nit comb to your emergency supplies. In 1935 my mother was travelling by boat from Australia to the United Kingdom when there was an outbreak of head lice on board. Mum was the only person with a nit comb and of course back then that was the main way of dealing with them. She became a very popular person as people wanted to borrow her comb.