May 06, 2008

Back To The Basics

I am getting ready to get back to my basics and was planning the outline for my farm today. We will be relocating back to my childhood farm in June. I will be taking my wife and step-daughter who are city girls totally out of their environment. I remember when I was growing up we had one of the only working farms that even used horses instead of tractors. We grew our own vegetables and raised our own meat. My grandfather raised tobacco for a cash crop and corn and hay to feed our numerous animals. My grandmother took care of the household and sewed, crocheted, and knitted a lot of the things we wore and used in our home. The house was heated with wood and did not even have hot running water until I was 12 years old. I am looking forward to getting back to my roots and hope the family can survive the culture shock. My step-daughter can't wait to get a goat and a horse of her very own.
I want to get the farm back to its former self and make it as self-sufficient as possible. The garden seeds have been bought and the chickens have been ordered. As I was moving some things in last week I found the old butter churn and cream separator. The barn still has hay and feed storage boxes in it. The pig feeder is in the hog lot where I remember it. All that is missing is the animals themselves. I remember butchering our hogs in the fall and canning our vegetables from the garden. I noticed an ad online for a lady in the same town who had moved from California who was teaching back to the basics type classes. I believe I will take them myself to see what I have forgotten or if I need to start up some classes myself. Before my wife and I were married she told me after the first visit to my family that she though she was a country girl, being from the suburbs instead of downtown, but she admitted she was so wrong. At least she is pushing for the move and really looking forward to the move and an early retirement.
The most important thing I remember about growing up is that we always had a roof over our head, were never cold or hungry, not worried about bills to support a yuppie lifestyle, and never did without anything. Those were my good old days that I want to repeat. If I can help my family and others be able to sustain this type of lifestyle, I believe my work here is on earth will be satisfied. I have spent many years learning other skills and practices to enhance a self-reliant lifestyle and would love to share that knowledge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To my HERO,
Thanks for the sweet blog. It is true that you married a city girl. I remember you and our son telling me before I could marry you, I had to go on a week long camping trip(survival). Well,since we have been married two years now, maybe it will actually happen...maybe :)
I will be glad to try to remember the "arts of times gone by with you". I am sure between you, your parents and time, even I can "get my head out of the dirt". It does surprise me at how many folks never think about survival. We are to be prepared for any disaster.
As a child we had a small house fire. We had a plan of where to meet, what to grab, etc. I wonder how many are prepared for even something that small, much less war, natural weather disaster,rioting, or food rationing.
I think it will be awesome to step back in time. Those days are passing away much to quickly. When people didn't live in such a world of convience. I to am guilty, but look forward to doing things "our way". Homegrown foods, learning to live without a "throw away society". Here WE go.

Anonymous said...

As your step-daughter, I can't wait to be up there. I'll finally be a country girl instead of a city girl. I can't wait to be taught everything about animals, gardens, etc. It will be a fun and exciting time.

Panhandle Tex said...

Glad to see that you are getting kudos from the folks that matter, family. Keep up the good work.

Panhandle Tex

Anonymous said...

Hey--good luck to you folks! I will be reading to see what you all are doing, learning. I go and visit an Amish family every week to purchase their terrific organic eggs, raw milk, butter, and other goods--and I like to learn from them while I'm there--they are becoming good friends. They are fine, healthy people, living a 19th century life. And so will you be! I'll enjoy reading of your activities. Onward!
HM