June 21, 2008

The Move Is Over

Well the move is finally winding down. I have some free time to get caught up on the blog. The girls are adjusting very well to country life. I do not miss the city at all.

We have been getting everything organized, my wife thought I was a pack rat before but now that she is discovering different stashes she had not seen before, she just shakes her head and smiles. The more bad news we see on TV and read about daily is making believers out of a lot of people who I never considered more than sheeple.

It has sure been busy around here. The small garden at my parents is doing well using the French intensive method. We have been eating lettuce for a couple weeks and asparagus too. I was weeding it last week and noticed the first tomatoes and squash were appearing. I finished reclaiming the garden at the farm from the weeds on Friday. Now this week we can get the big garden in the ground. I am looking forward to the corn and potatoes.

I have spent most of this week cutting weeds from the pastures and getting the barn and chicken coop ready for occupants. I am thinking about 12-15 laying hens. My favorite breed is the Dominique which is a proven old breed that lays brown eggs. A couple of milk goats to help keep weeds down and for milk. At least two steers for beef this fall. And a milk cow for you know what she provides. I have also applied to buy a couple of wild mustangs from the B.L.M. in July. With gas prices still on the rise alternate forms of transportation might be useful. And last but not least I have the rabbit coops ready. They are the fastest producer of meat available. And my favorite are ducks for the pond and to help keep insects in the garden in check.

I also taught my wife how to make fresh apple sauce from our Early Transparent tree located in the back yard and the grape vine is going to have a good harvest in the fall. We have also been having an extra amount of snakes at the farm. They are the most aggressive black snakes I have ever seen. An old timer told me he had heard that black snakes were cross-breeding with copperheads and becoming poisonous and more aggressive. I don't know how true this is but if anyone has any more insight please let me know.

Well it feels good to be writing again and don't forgot my mentor at bison blog. I hope I can keep this up on regular basis now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have heard of black snakes here in MS with markings on their back and being very aggressive, Have not heard that they were poisonous. Something else to watch out for.